Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 4 October 2011

Info Post
Felt Counting Apples
So you’ve heard me talk about the importance of multi-sensory learning activities for brain development, right? I wanted to help Minnie (and eventually Tinkerbell) have practice identifying numbers & counting numbers in a tactile way. So… I made these cute little felt apple counter.



Here is what I used: 2 sheets red felt, 2 sheets tan felt, sticker Velcro (for tactile counting), printed numbers (because I needed a guide –I’m not that crafty!), spool green ribbon, needle, black thread & red thread.

FREE Template - for personal use only, please do not host or link others directly to the download.
I cut out (from template I created – click picture above) the red apple & sewed on the numbers. Then I cut out tan smaller apple & stuck on Velcro “seeds” to be counted. I sewed the green “stem” as I sewed the red & tan apple pieces together. And here is a look at the finished product on both sides. I am sure someone could have done a better job sewing, but it got the job done, right?

Felt Counting ApplesFelt Counting Apples - Seed Side


The kids LOVED these! Minnie enjoyed counting the seeds. We lined them up on the floor in order (both sides), played a game with tweezers (another good coordination skill) picking up the apples and keeping them if they knew the number, you get the idea – the skies the limit.

Minnie Counting Apple SeedsGoofy enjoying some apple funPutting Felt Apples in Order
They really didn’t take me more than a couple hours to whip up & are such a great resource that we can use over and over. Plus they went along so well with our How to Make an Apple Pie & See the World (Five in a Row) theme for this week! Plus – it’s fall!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment