Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 6 October 2011

Info Post
Bible Stories for PreschoolersOctober 2011 016

All family devotion books should be written like this one! Bible Stories for Preschoolers by Monika Kustra includes 49 Bible stories. The first thing that caught my eye was that each story was not limited to one page like most Children’s Bibles are. By making the stories span about 7 pages the author is not rushing through the story. She includes interactions in the text such as, “Close your eyes. Now, what do you see? You don’t see anything, do you? Everything is dark.” My children really enjoyed being able to interact with the story. The other advantage of not cramming a story into one page is that there is room for more illustrations! Children are so visual at this age; they will love the fun, colorful, simple illustrations by Andrzej Chalecki. 

The next thing I really, really liked was the 2-page Family Time spread at the end of each story. Within ‘Family Time’ there are three sections: talk, do, and remember. Talk includes about 5 questions to make sure that the children understand the story they were just told; it is wonderful for reading comprehension! My children loved sharing back what they had learned.  The remember section includes a take-away verse from the story you just read. What a great way to begin memorizing scripture together as a family. But my families favorite part was the DO section! When I told my kids it was Bible story time they would ask, “Is it the Bible book where we get to DO stuff?” They loved it! In the DO section are ideas for making, doing or eating various things that will help your children remember the Bible story you just read. 

For example, we made raven puppets to remind our kids of the story of Elijah. In this story God took care of Elijah by having ravens bring him food when there was a drought.

October 2011 062

We also made a ladder and wrote down places we go where God is with us (everywhere). We then prayed and thanked God for being with us in each of those places. This reminded us of how in Jacob’s dream with the angels going up and down the ladder, God promised that He would be with Jacob. October 2011 011

Another example, we worked together to make a burning bush to remind us of the story of Moses and how God spoke to him through a burning bush.

September 2011 527September 2011 522September 2011 530

I did receive a free copy of this book from Tyndale House in exchange for my review. However, the review and thoughts expressed here are purely my own opinion. This book is so well thought through. The stories are engaging and the pictures are memorable. Plus I guarantee the family time section will make your family devotions more memorable, less prep and lots of fun!  My kiddos are ages 1, 3 and 6 so I think this book is great for kids ages 3-8.

Want to Win a FREE copy?!

You need to subscribe to my blog & leave a comment letting me know you do! I want this item to bless my readers (and YES! that includes you as a new reader!)

So either follow by email or join the blog!!

Want to earn a few extra entries?

  1. Click the ‘Like’ button to Like us on Facebook & leave a comment letting me know you did so.
  2. Share this post on your Facebook page (using the sharing is caring Facebook button at the bottom of this post) & leave a comment letting me know you did so.
  3. Blog about the Giveaway & leave a comment letting me know you did so & your blog URL

Giveaway ends on Sunday, October 23rd, 2011. I will use random.org to select a winner & notify them via email. Please make sure you either leave me your email address or have it included in your profile! If the winner does not respond within 48 hours I will pick another winner. This is not limited to the continental US!!

Good luck!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment