Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday 27 October 2012

Info Post

a-day-in-the-life-of-another-mom2_th_thumb

A Day in the Life of a Stay-at-Home Mom by Jodie from Growing Book by Book

A day in my life has sure changed since having children and staying home with them. I must admit it’s been a big adjustment from heading an elementary school of almost 400 students to staying at home with two.

Rise and Shine

Mornings almost always start in the 5 o’clock hour. My soon to be 2 year old and 6 month old both think that rising before the sun is how things should be done. So, our day begins! Lately, we open the shades so that we can gradually watch it get light. Then, we snuggle together and read some stories. Mother Goose, Harry, The Dirty Dog, Duck and Goose Find a Pumpkin, We’re Going on a Bear Hunt and Little Blue Truck Leads the Way are our current favorites.

Breakfast Time

My oldest has been on a big toast kick lately. So, it’s usually whole grain toast with butter, almond butter, jam or honey and some kind of fruit. His meal usually looks different than ours because we are trying to stay organic for him. I would love to do the same for my husband and myself, but it’s just so expensive! I usually juggle a bowl of cereal while the little one sits on my lap giggling at his brother. I try to sneak in a little viewing of the Today Show while it plays in the background.reading mama2

Play, Play and More Play

We generally spend all morning moving from one room to another playing. Today, we went to our weekly playgroup that we belong to at church. The topic was crayons so we got to participate in melting crayons, coloring and listening to the story, The Crayon Box That Talked. It’s nice to get to interact with other moms once a week. I sure do miss adult interaction!

My little one will take a morning nap which allows me to do a load of laundry and unload the dishwasher today. My 2 year old helps to sort the silverware.

Lunch Time

Lunch for the 6 month old has been easy up to this point since he’s been nursing. However, it’s now time to introduce solid food to him. I need to figure out if I’ll feed him at the same time my 2 year old is eating or not. Today, my big guy had hummus and carrot sticks, applesauce and cheese for lunch. I need to get better at having some things prepped for my lunch so that I don’t just snack on junk food!

Heading Outside

After reading, 15 Minutes Outside by Rebecca Cohen, I was really inspired to get outside everyday with my boys. Of course, since it was in the 70’s today, that wasn’t too hard. Today we stayed out for over an hour. I wish both of the boys would stay in the stroller for a walk so that I could get some exercise, but that just isn’t happening.

Back Inside

We come back inside and my oldest settles in for a 2 hour nap after reading several stories and having some milk. Today, I’m lucky and the little one also naps during this time. This allows me to work on my blog, Growing Book by Book. This is my creative outlet that allows me to share my passion for literacy development of young children. Since this is my only time to work on the blog, it generally takes me about a week to pull together a post. As usual, I get distracted by reading other blogs or browsing on Pinterest.

Daddy Is Home

My husband usually arrives home from work around 4. He plays and reads with the kids while I prep dinner. Tonight, we are going easy and having tacos. Each Sunday, I prepare a menu and grocery list which makes things flow so much easier during the week. We eat, play and read some more.

Evening Ritual

Around 6:30 we begin our wind down time. Baths for the boy, singing and more reading are on tap. I usually try to squeeze in a shower too or else I have to wait until mid-morning when my little one takes a nap. Big guy goes to bed promptly at 8. Little guy generally will do the same, but not always. I almost always fall asleep while nursing him. On the rare occasion that I don’t fall asleep, I usually spend some time with my husband or read. The whole household is asleep by 10 at the latest. Unfortunately, my little one still wakes up several times a night. So, the day really hasn’t ended has it?

reading mamaReading is a huge part of our day. I have a background in teaching reading and love to read myself. It’s so important to me that my boys grow up be proficient readers. Books are all over our house! In fact, our book collection out numbers our toy collection. We have read to our boys from the first day they came home from the hospital. I don’t force the boys to look at books, but making them available all over encourages them to be interested. I share lots of literacy tips and book recommendation on my blog if you are interested in learning more about this part of our day.

There is a little glimpse into my days with my boys. Though I’m exhausted every day, I wouldn’t trade being home with them for anything!



What is your day like?

Would you like to contribute to A Day in the Life of Another Mom? We’d love to read about your day! This series will be ongoing as long as there are people willing to give us all a glimpse into their lives. If you would like to share A Day in Your Life please email me your day to livinglifeintentionallyblog (at) gmail.com. Feel free to include picture (s). I will let you know promptly when it will be posted. (If you have a blog please let me know as I will include a link to your blog in the post.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment