Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 27 March 2012

Info Post

Today I am so happy to have Erin from Royal Baloo doing a guest post. Erin is a mom to three boys 5 and under. She blogs about ideas to make learning easy and affordable for everyone.  Check out her post below & then head on over to her blog & let her know you are visiting from Living Life Intentionally!

how do i make a gif   royal baloo


When i got the email from Beth saying that I’d won a guest spot i was so excited! I knew I wanted to share an inexpensive homeschooling idea. Homeschooling can get so expensive but it doesn’t to be, especially when it comes to subjects that are so hands-on like science! There are many experiments and activities that just use materials you probably already own.

My son has recently entered the local public school (that we adore!) and was assigned a diorama of a desert scene. My goal was to let him do 99% of the work with me only stepping in to help with what he could no do (like hot glue). Of course my mind I pictured a Toob of animals from the desert and bits of real cactus. Thankfully he is a bit more frugal.

We naturally started with a free shoebox.


My son started by drawing the mountains in the background with crayons and markers. I think he also colored some animals and cactus in there but I’m not sure.
After learning about many desert animals at school, he knew exactly what he wanted in the diorama. I googled images for each animal and he picked the winners. (I searched for coloring page images so we could print out a black and white version that he could color himself). With a bit of tape we set each animal and cactus in their own place.


We went on a walk in the backyard and picked some flowers and plants to include. Then we gathered some dirt and rocks to put on the bottom.


In the end we have a diorama with much of what you would find in a desert. It’s a great starting point for a study on desert plants and animals and it was free!

To supplement the hands on diorama we’re working on a lapbook from Homeschool Share about desert animals.
Making Learning Fun has a lot of books and activities about the desert!
Since we’re currently living in the desert we are able to take some fun field trips, but if the desert is too far check out this virtual desert!

 

Thank you so much Beth for letting me guest post!


Thanks Erin!  What a great study on the dessert. Your sons diorama is great! Here are some of my favorite posts from Royal Baloo:

0 comments:

Post a Comment