Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 2 September 2011

Info Post
This weekend we went to see my in laws in Iowa. One thing lead to another and all of a sudden they were all cleaning out the daunting attic. Cleaning out the attic is something that has been talked about for at least as long as I've been in the family - over 10 years! My hubby's folks are unable to get up there themselves & no one really knew what was up there.



So what started out as a retrieval of one board game (Dynamite - which we actually never found!) ended up with 98% of the attic contents being brought down. My kiddos and their cousin were thrilled! Suddenly there were all these cool retro toys to play with!! And there were a LOT of toys!


Pretty much every toy that my husband or his sister had - were up in the attic. Every stuffed animal, book, toy, cherished hand made items, you name it! There were a lot of really neat retro toys. (They really don't make toys like they use to!! All of my husband's toys were solid, sturdy, well made!)


But back to where I was going with my post. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with stuff. Looking at picture books, old toys, favorite stuffed animals, or a hand made keepsake can remind us of precious memories of those we love & cherish. I think that is all well & good. But (not being attached to any of the toys/memories myself) it reminded me of what the Bible says:


"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:19-21


So many of the items in the attic were pretty gross. The black bags things had been stored in had disintegrated and there was black dust all over. The stuffed animals smelled. You get the idea. It really made me think about these "treasures' and how they were nice, but not really TREASURES.


I once heard a sermon that stuck with me about all the stuff we as Americans have. He pointed out that we had so much stuff that we couldn't even fit them in our good-sized homes. We had to rent storage space to store all this extra stuff we didn't really need. Wow - is that convicting or what?!


Now I'm not saying that we should all go sell all our stuff. They have a time and a purpose. Let's just check from time to time that they are not our treasure. My children are a treasure. So I pray over them, tell them about Jesus, and disciple them the best I can and wait for the Holy Spirit to touch their hearts. The lost souls of the world are treasures; treasures we should try to reach for Jesus. Our relationship with Jesus is a treasure and we should guard it, grow it, and care for it.


It made me think. Hope it makes you think too,
Beth

0 comments:

Post a Comment